Sunday, October 22, 2006

Relations. Pickings.


An outing after my ballroom practise included a movie titled "The Prestige" at Cineleisure, a dinner at this food court somewhere in the midst of Cuppage Plaza vicinity and a coffee session at Starbucks [next to California Fitness Orchard] concluded with a chatting session at Boat Quay MacDonald's. The original finale was supposed to be TCC at Boat Quay but it was really packed and thus we decided to move to Mac's which luckily had a round sofa seating area and good aircon. Yes, lepak sessions should not be without aircon unless it's right after a dance session. Then perhaps places like CLC [ask me nicely and I will reveal it to you in due time LOL] would be pretty appropriate. By the way, for the peepz who knows wat CLC stands for kindly please do not spoil the fun of suspense.

At Mac's Yang Yang proceeded to ask me the questions which she had seemed to be building up for quite some time with numerous prompts along the way. Well.. the questions were finally asked right amidst the company of Peter, Josh, Anselm, Priscilla, Yvonne and Loretta. Missing in action was Zelia and Yeeshan but oh well I guess they would have a good idea of what had been goin on around me.

The discussion had set me thinking. How does one effectively treat a partner "well"? The word "well" sounded so subjective.. so.. ambiguous. Yang Yang mentioned that ladies would never tell their counterparts the direct answer but chose to drop clues and hints along the way. When the answer is presented to them, that is when they would enjoy the most. No wonder some people have compared the process of relationship to a cat and mouse game or perhaps hide and seek. Seek but do not search, ask but do not query, know but do not understand. Do we seek understanding in our knowledge all the time? When we finally know what our partner wants do we then strove to understand why? What happens when the understanding itelf is elusive?

Through the discussion I did realise I can be a very stubborn person. Determination is termed as a positive trait but unwillingness to listen sets in at times when I made up my mind. I guess being understanding is something I would request. Yang Yang threw the question back at me - How much are you willing to compromise for this understanding then? Am I able to give a fair amount in return? Again the discussion routes back to the starting point - How do we give the measurement for what is considered fair? Setting aside a certain amount of time a day may not be the "right thing" to do because according to what she understands from women.. they need constant attention. Not in the sense you have to be around them physically but more like showing concern for them most of the time. No wonder some people claim of being tired of a relationship after a while. Do they then deserve to be branded as being uncaring? Is the reason of wanting to achieve something in career a valid reason? Or simply jus a convenient perspective that society has presented to us?

Perhaps.. willing to listen.. is one factor that I need to work on. Being able to provide a listening ear might not equate to a willingness to listen because I believe we are all guilty of selective listening at one time or another. The only variance is perhaps the kind of topics that makes us more selective as compared to the rest.

An announcement last friday from my company says that monday is closed as well thus fully extending our break till the comin wednesday. Finally, a couple of days to clear my room up properly before my Dad starts making changes to the house. My room in particular. So.. hopefully I can muster enough determination to spring clean my room properly before the workers set in and start messing things around.

The patter of rain amidst the mist
Sets in a pensiveness
Light grayness on window panes
Random rapid streams downwards

The mood sets in. Pondering.
Fingers dance lightly over the silver
brushing the numbers
Pondering.

A vibration. A surprise.
Forwarded. Anticipation.

A reply. A smile.
A short conversation. A happiness.


How does one measure the sufficient amount of attention given?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

one does not measure it. one knows.

''seek but do not search''. i'd stick with that.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SEEK AND DESTROY!! by Metallica.

Amen.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home