Friday, February 11, 2005

Materialism and Superstition


The 3rd Day of the Chinese New Year.

Most unmarried people would have received ang baos of a substantial amount by this day since the first 2 days of Chinese New Year would be days where massive gatherings are co-ordinated.

Unfortunately, materialism rears it's ugly head in a particular gathering in my very house.

As I mentioned earlier, my second brother's father-in-law passed away recently and thus by traditional practice he cannot be allowed to disburse red packets or partake in any merrymaking as a mark of respect for the deceased elder. Like a continous period of mourning.

But out of respect for my mother's wish that she wants to see her 3 sons gathered in her house for a sumptuous Chinese New Year Lunch, he 'bended' the rules slightly and gathered for the feast on 9th February 2005. Surprised was I when I learnt that my eldest sis-in-law was very superstitious thus my mother kept the secret of my brother's mourning from her, for fear she [sis-in-law] would give excuses and not attend the gathering which would effectively prevent the reunion of her sons.

Unfortunately, my eldest sis-in-law was quering why my 2nd brother did not give any ang baos when he was at the gathering. Faced with no choice, she broke the news gently to my eldest sis-in-law and offered lots of explanations in not telling her earlier.

The pleas fell on deaf ears.

Swift was the reaction for her tummy felt uncomfortable and requested my eldest brother to send her home, I gather that my eldest brother is still kept in the dark. Slight guilt was shown on my 2nd brother's expression. Guilt? The only guilt I would credit him with is his unconventional perceptions to traditions usually overridden by his love for my mother. My father however was slightly fuming because his time with his beloved grand-daughter had been cut short.

Does superstition play an important role in a person's way of life to such an extent that it overrides their logical thinking? I shudder to imagine that such behavior is still evident considering that she's a teacher and well-educated with honors from the National University of Singapore [NUS]. It saddens me more to witness my parents subjecting to unhappiness when all they wished for is a simple reunion of their children at Chinese New Year, a festive season deemed omnipotent amongst the traditions of Chinese. If I were to step in and inform my eldest brother about the truth and request him to stay despite his wife's superstitions would it result in disharmony for their marriage? Statistically I would have made 3 people [my parents and second brother] happier but I would have made a couple very unhappy. Brother & wife versus parents & brother.

My second brother left shortly after.

My mother teared after they left while my father was repeatedly muttering curses under his breath. Consolation was offered to my mother while I simply advised my Dad to stay by my mum's side and ensured she keeps her mind occupied with other upcoming visitations. Other visits that followed queried gently why both my brothers are absent which I respectfully explained my second brother's mourning period and eldest brother's untimely visiting of in-laws.

All peppered with lots of smiles.




Full Run Rehearsals tonight, whole of Saturday and Sunday Morning as well. Tuesday would be Full Dress Concert Venue Rehearsal from 9am till 10pm. Monday [14th Feb] on standby for rehearsals as well. SiGh.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home