Friday, November 12, 2004

Dances of the Orient

A trip to the Kallang Theatre yesterday evening was a pleasant surprise as I treated to a visual feast of color splendor & impressive acrobatic-style dance techniques. Dancers whirled and twirled to fast-paced traditional chinese music while amazing the audience with their unbelieveable flexibility and grace.

Unfortunately I was not exactly amused by almost 3 complete rows of students behind me giggling and commenting away at the dancers. They were there to support their "teacher" who chereographed the dance. Just curious, what else could a dance chereographer teach at schools? By failing to appreciate the dance performance chereographed by your teacher, are you not delivering a big tight slap to your teacher in the face? And the behaviour they're displaying, such shame brought to the school.

When the teacher appeared after the performance several girls amongst the entire group acutally stood up and screamed. I almost jumped out of my seat in shock. In my mind I was just screaming bloody murder, like literally ripping up the very seat and bludgeoning them with it right away. At least I would salvage some grace for the school who had been shamed with girls coming to a classical dance performance and treating it like some schoolgirl's concert consisting of 5566 or Jolin Tsai.

*huFf*

Ah well, going easy on the heart. I'm positively I almost burst a vein and caused internal bleeding. Could have killed myself.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing there wasn't a repeat performance of what happened in Victoria Theatre some time last year. When some school girls were so noisy, someone in the audience shouted at them.

Ah. I do think they deserve it thoroughly.

Back in secondary school, we were always given cheap tickets to arts performances. Like we could watch plays and concerts for less than $10! And these jackass students, turn up dressed like slobs and worse, act liks slobs. No basic courtesy or theatre etiquette. Somehow, I think giving students the cheap deal doesn't encourage them to appreciate the Arts.

Just makes them devalue the Arts.

ms. beautifuk

7:32 PM  
Blogger Inarticulate said...

Oh I'm actually kinda wishing I was mean enough to make them realise that their behaviour was extremely inappropriate but a simple "Ssshhhh" was enough to get them back into their seats so... I'll let it pass.

True that sometimes giving a deal at low prices simply makes the people unappreciating of the true value.

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home