Tuesday, September 28, 2004

New Police Story

Watched Jackie Chan's latest movie yesterday at Shaw Towers [Beach Road] with K [a lady] from my dance studio. Before entering the cinema I was rather dubious about the movie, after the show I was just plain disappointed.

A little breakdown -


Jackie plays a cop [as usual] more exactly a senior police inspector who's famed for his zero failure records in the Police Department. Funny that they didn't specify which department though they sure get to wear suits all the time. A stellar cast of Charlie Yeung, Nicholas Tse and Daniel Wu have provided candy for the eye but fails to bring enough life to the show overall. My opinion? Daniel Wu needs more time to practise his sneer. He just doesn't convince me as the main villian. When I think of memorable villians I think of Anthony Hopkins [Silence of the Lambs], Al Pacino [Devil's Advocate] and even Jack Nicholson [Batman]. Cameos from Wu Bai, Wang Chieh and HK stunt veterans to spice up the scene so overall it's a typical Jackie Chan film.

That's where the problem starts - You walk into the cinema and there you go. You know what to expect in the beginning and what to expect in the ending. My opinion? Jackie is getting old. Even the posters I see at the bus stops with his gun-hoisting poise just makes me think, "My that gun looks heavy, maybe you put it down and go back to directing." I know I know, medical reports have certified that his body age is still like a 25-yr old despite him being twice the age. But when he comes to the screen up close all the wrinkles start to show not to mention that most of his cast are all young, athletic and good looking actors. In addition, Charlie Yeung looked more like his daughter than his girlfriend



Oh yes, one Asian Actor [Note I longer use just HK Actor because I'm promoting their status to global. Hey, they've been around the scene for like more than 20 years. It's the least they deserve] that I feel who ages with grace and kills with style is Mr... *drum rolls*



Chow Yun Fatt! Why? Haven't you watched Replacement Killers [But the story sucks anyway] and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?? Not to mention his trademark Gangstarrrrr flick a.k.a. A Better Tomorrow? Go watch it damnit! And then compare!

Right. Let's use another angle of comparison - If they were both dancers then... Jackie Chan scores on techniques while Chow Yun Fatt scores on the style and grace! Ahhh...

As a little note - Throughout the show I could almost predict what will happen next. Villian kills cop's friends/family/partners, cop gets depressed. Cop gets new partner. New Partner injects new lease of life into jaded cop and brings him back to his old motivated self. Cop sets out for revenge, kills villian and voila! He marries the girl of his dreams!! Wow...

*Faints and falls down from chair*



Only thing that pleased me was the layout of the cinema. Shaw Towers Prince Jade 1. Man... it looked more like a grand amphitheatre for opera rather than an actual cinema. I'm impressed actually.

Something for Jackie Chan fans - here
Dun say I'm being biased, though to support my view you can read this article about his Jackie's overall synopsis not just as a an actor but as someone who's been in the movie industry and how he's evolved over the years.

Here you go

Well......... To end it off, it's the Mooncake Festival today so go home and have a simple dinner with your loved ones! Light a Lantern and enjoy the nice moon tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home